Hot 1, 2 & 3
For beginners or those with little experience
- An introduction to techniques and skills
- You will learn about gathering, blocking, punties, marvering, and the starter bubble
- An introduction to basic tools and equipment
- Within the workshop, you will have the chance to create paperweights, small vases and tumblers, and to do bit work.
Prerequisite: Must have completed HOT 1 or have permission from instructor to be in HOT 2
- Review HOT 1 Techniques
- Focusing on various shapes (vases, bowls, plates, etc) and complex forms
- Learning efficient use of tools and hand dexterity
- Introduction to various coloring techniques
- Working on bit work, shapes, and open projects (ideas of student)
Prerequisite: Must have completed HOT 1 & HOT 2
- Review HOT 2 Techniques
- Focusing on specific shapes, complex forms, bit work, personal projects
- Learning different ways to incorporate color
- Grasping a basic understanding of basic shapes: bowl, vase, cup, tumbler, wine glass, and small sculptures
- Duration is 3 hours per class, 1 class per week for 6 weeks
- Items created will vary depending on workshop skill level
- Cost is $895 per student
- Class size: 2-3 students per instructor
Intro to Cast Glass
Intro to Cold Working
Blow Mold 101
In this multi-week course students begin by modeling one-of-a-kind ideas out of clay. Our instructors will then guide you through the process of making a mold of your unique clay model. Finally, students will be able to work with a hot shop instructor to blow molten glass into their finished mold.Blow Mold Interest Form
Booking: Appointments must be made a minimum of 3 days in advance and a request for booking can be placed at a maximum of 60 days in advance. Booking requests are placed on the calendar tentatively until approved by the Studio Manager.
Deposit (if applicable) is due upon approval of the request by the Studio Manager. The reservation is considered finalized when the deposit is received.
2 or more weeks notice you may reschedule your class or receive a full refund.
1 week notice you may reschedule your appointment.
Less than 72 hours notice will forfeit deposit/funds.
All classes and demos are at Carlyn Ray Designs in the Dallas Design District. Carlyn Ray Designs will supply all tools, glass and color within your designated time slot.
Pieces will usually be ready 4-5 days after the class or workshop.
Shipping is an additional charge. For all classes listed above, it is understood that it is a learning experience and an advancement of skills. Carlyn and her team cannot guarantee that the actual pieces created will be successful.
What to bring/wear to class (Very Important)
- All clothing must be cotton
- Long pants (no shorts)
- Closed-toed shoes (no sandals)
- Long-sleeved cotton shirt optional (no billowy sleeves)
- Hat or headband is recommended
- Long hair should be pulled back securely
Water and sports drinks are recommended; caffeinated beverages are not. Water will be available to you at all times.
For any questions or to schedule your class, contact us today.