New friends, classes, and pieces in the studio
This week was a busy work week at Dallas Glass Art! Christoph Hubner joined us all the way from Germany for a jam packed week of glassblowing. Christoph arrived last Friday and spent lots of time getting to know our glass studio and working with Carlyn and Clay to produce beautiful bowls and vases for the store.
- Carlyn and Christoph work together to shape and blow this vase.
- Christoph brings the bit to Carlyn who applies it to the vase.
- Christoph gathers and prepares a bit to apply to the vase. Three bits in total were applied to the vase to form its base.
Christoph is from west Germany and grew up with glass art. His father is a master glass blower and taught Christoph some of the process, but as Christoph says, “glassblowing is like riding a bike, you can only teach someone the basics, from there it’s all individual style”. After learning the basics from his father, Christoph trained for four years at a glass blowing academy in Germany. Only about 20% of students successfully complete this glass blowing program. The American glass blowing process is very similar to the German process except for a few slight differences. In Germany the glass blowing furnaces are electric rather than gas burning. Christoph enjoys the entire glass blowing process and says that he can’t designate any one piece he has created as his favorite.
This was Christoph’s first time visiting Texas and he enjoyed how vast the city of Dallas is and the array of food and activities the city has to offer. “Keep calm, it’s only glass” he says. We hope to have him back at Dallas Glass Art very soon!
Finished bowls by Carlyn, Clay, and Christoph! Come by the studio or store to check out these amazing pieces! With one of our classes or workshops you can learn the basics of this cool art process.
On another note, our summer classes are in full swing! Come see us any Saturday morning from 10:30 to 12:30 to learn the basics of glass blowing and create your very own hand blown glass piece. You can get involved as early as this Saturday morning with one of our Glass Globes and Pears class at 10:30 a.m. Check out the “Hot Shop Events” tab on our homepage to learn more and get registered for a class! We hope to see you soon!
- Some great examples of glass pieces you will learn to make yourself during one of our “Glass Experience” classes.
- Birthday party? Nope, a chandelier mock up! However we do host large group events such as birthday parties!
- Not only will you get to learn how to blow glass during one of our classes- you’ll also get to hang out with our sweet studio pup, Chai!